Wednesday, March 4, 2009

No Shit.

So I've taken the advice of a friend to read up on things that are applicable to my blog and to comment on them. This will be mostly concerning BPD and other psychiatric disorders. Let's see how long this lasts.

Why, please tell me why, we're still doing research that proves that bipolar disorder (and schizophrenia) are hereditary/genetic? That should be a great, big, fat, DUH by now. I am a statistic myself. My father is bipolar as well as my uncle who committed suicide, most likely my grandfather as well, and possibly another uncle (he won't take anything that admits beyond depression however). This is all on my father's side. Truth, people. This had come to my attention by skimming the titles of articles from the past 2 months in the Google Reader "Bipolar News from Medline News Today". I found 4 talking about this. Let's quit stating the obvious, and study drugs, their effects and interactions. That would be WAY more helpful. One article that was along the DUH lines I'll allow however:

Common Causes Of Schizophrenia And Bipolar Disorder

This I allow because it links schizophrenia to BPD via genetic similarities. Which is also a slight "duh" (are you lovin' the scientific terminology?), because the typical mode of diagnosis is depression ---> BPD ---> shizophrenia. If this unraveling of the human genome helps with early diagnosis and overall treatment, I'm happy.

Now thinking... these repetitive study may be done because they're still trying to prove BPD is a real disease. Leading me into an argument I've done many times, and lost friends over - I'll leave that for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In My Head


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones